Thursday, September 4, 2008

two down 70 more to go


That's what Aric said to me over our anniversary dinner last night. It's been the most life-changing, beautiful, challenging two years of our lives.

To celebrate, Aric told me to be ready by 7 p.m. As I slipped on my heels, I asked him if we would be doing any walking. He simply said, you won't have to unless you want to. I had no idea what he meant, until a black Lincoln Town Car pulled up Wesley's dormitory. It took us down Massachusetts Avenue, through the Embassy Row lined by towering mansions. We arrived at Dupont Circle, my favorite neighborhood in Washington D.C. to date. I say, "to date" because I'm certain that as we explore this gorgeous city, we will find more that we love.


I was immediately taken by the simple yet lovely atmosphere at Darlington House. Aric said he picked a place that I would not only enjoy tonight with him, but would want to take my mother to when she visited. The food was flavorful, service impeccable. It was perfect.




We then took a walk around the neighborhood. As we turned a corner, we both paused and looked at each other. The street -- with its brown stones and lush green trees -- felt very much like Edgar Allen Poe Street in Upper West Side. This was the street Aric lived on for two years in New York. A street that holds so many memories of our early 20s. We walked on a little longer to a bridge, lingered by a statue of Gandhi as Aric finished his cigar, then took a cab home.




This morning, I took a walk around my neighborhood. The air is so sweet here. Here are some shots of the block where we're staying.





4 comments:

sayu said...

wow, what a beautiful start for you two in d.c.!

you're always blessed with great friends wherever you go!
so i'm sure God has prepared a whole bunch of friends over there.

William 'Bill' Torrance said...

Congratulations on your anniversary, and on having such a lovely night. It will be nice to have a neighbor at A-100. I'm just on the other side of the AU campus from you!

Unknown said...

way to go aric! what a romantic night :) congrats on 2 years!

Unknown said...

I'm really touched by this...the way you celebrated your anniversary. It made me tear up a little. Guess I'm just a mushbag. Aric's a real sweetie and you guys are a lovely pair! Best wishes to you in D.C. and blessings on the opening of this new chapter in your lives!